Archie Battersbee ‘fought until the end’, says mum after son dies


7 April 2022

Archie is found unconscious by his mother after an incident at their home in Essex. He is taken to Southend Hospital.

8 April

Archie is transferred to The Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel where he has been treated ever since.

26 April

The NHS trust that runs the Royal London starts High Court proceedings by asking for Archie to undergo brain stem testing.

13 May

Mrs Justice Arbuthnot rules that brain stem testing should be carried out.

16 May

Two specialists try to administer brain stem function tests, but they are unable to as Archie did not respond to a peripheral nerve stimulation test, a precursor to the brain stem test.

25 May

A hearing is held to decide if further MRI scans should be conducted. Archie’s parents did not consent on the basis that moving Archie could harm him.

27 May

The court approves further MRI scans, which are carried out on 31 May.

6-8 June

A final hearing is held to hear evidence on whether Archie’s life-support treatment should continue.

13 June

The High Court judge rules that Archie is “dead” based on MRI scan results and that treatment could be withdrawn.

Hollie Dance, Archie’s mother, outside the High Court
Image caption Hollie Dance, Archie’s mother, outside the High Court Image copyright by PA

20 June

The family ask the Court of Appeal to reconsider the case.

29 June

The Court of Appeal says that a new hearing to determine Archie’s best interests should take place.

11 July

A new hearing is held in the High Court with evidence given before Mr Justice Hayden.

15 July

Mr Justice Hayden rules that life-support treatment should end, saying continuing it is “futile”.

25 July

Three Court of Appeal judges support the High Court ruling that treatment can end.

28 July

The Supreme Court rules out intervening in the case and supports the Court of Appeal ruling.

29 July

The family make an application to the United Nations.

Archie’s mother and father, Paul Battersbee, outside the Royal London Hospital
Image caption Archie’s mother and father, Paul Battersbee, outside the Royal London Hospital Image copyright by PA

30 July

A UN Committee writes to the UK government asking for a delay in withdrawing treatment while they consider the case.

31 July

The government asks for an urgent hearing to review the case.

1 August

The Court of Appeal refuses to postpone withdrawal of treatment until the UN can hear the case.

2 August

The Supreme Court refuse the family’s application for permission to appeal the Court of Appeal ruling.

3 August

European Court of Human Rights refuses an application from the family to postpone the withdrawal of Archie’s life support.

4 August

Archie’s parents make a legal application to move their son to a hospice for end of life care.

5 August

A High Court judge rules that Archie cannot be moved to a hospice for withdrawal of treatment.

6 August

Archie passes away at the Royal London Hospital after treatment is withdrawn in line with court rulings about his best interests. Members of his family are at his bedside.