The NBA‘s coaching carousel already began moving moments after the 2022-23 regular season ended.
At least a couple of teams already announced that they were moving on from their current coach, hoping they can find a new voice that can spark positive results like Mike Brown did for the Sacramento Kings or how Jacque Vaughn helped steer the ship for the Brooklyn Nets following his midseason hire.
Here’s all the latest news on the coaching and general manager changes around the league along with the rumored candidates and who is interviewing for each role.
- The Rockets agreed to terms with former Celtics coach Ime Udoka to make him their next head coach, ESPN reported Monday. Udoka coached the Celtics for one season before he was suspended by the team for the 2022-23 season after an investigation found he broke multiple team policies. Udoka replaces Stephen Silas, whose option for the 2023-24 season was declined by the team.
Detroit Pistons (HC)
Toronto Raptors (HC)
- Warriors assistant Kenny Atkinson
- Bucks assistant Charles Lee
- Suns assistant Kevin Young
- Kings assistant Jordi Fernandez
- Grizzlies assistant Darko Rajakovic
- Heat assistant Chris Quinn
- WNBA‘s Las Vegas Aces coach Becky Hammon
- Raptors assistant Adrian Griffin
- Former Celtics coach Ime Udoka (hired by the Rockets)
- Former NBA player and current ESPN analyst JJ Redick (reportedly interviewed for job)
PERSONNEL CHANGES (head coaches and general mangers)
- Mike Budenholzer was dismissed by the team after five seasons as the Bucks’ coach. Milwaukee’s decision to let go of Budenholzer came a week after they were upset in the first round of the NBA playoffs despite having the best record in the league during the regular season. The Bucks finished with at least a top-three seed in the Eastern Conference in each season Budenholzer coached, including in 2021 when they won the NBA title.
- Dwane Casey resigned from his post as the Pistons’ head coach following their regular-season finale after five seasons. The 2017-18 Coach of the Year will remain in Detroit, transitioning into a role in the team’s front office.
- Stephen Silas’ option for the 2023-24 season wasn’t picked up, ending his tenure as the Rockets’ head coach after three seasons.
- Nick Nurse was fired by the Raptors after coaching the team for five seasons, including when they won the NBA championship in the 2018-19 season.
- Tommy Sheppard was fired from his role as the team’s general manager after four seasons. Washington missed the playoffs the last two years.
- Monty Williams was fired as head coach after four seasons, which included a trip to the NBA Finals in the 2020-21 season.
Washington Commanders sold to Sixers co-owner Josh Harris, Magic Johnson
2023 NBA playoff bracket, standings: Updated schedule, scores, dates
2023 NBA championship odds: Celtics new favorite to win title
Lakers vs. Warriors: Prediction, Game 6 odds, schedule and TV channel
Zach Edey, Kobe Bufkin among 10 Big Ten prospects to watch at NBA Draft Combine
Phoenix Suns shopping Chris Paul, Deandre Ayton?
Suns’ gamble on Durant-Booker tandem fails to pay dividends
Did the Celtics win Game 6, or did the 76ers give it away?
How Austin Reaves, the ‘Hillbilly Kobe,’ won over LeBron James
Get more from National Basketball Association Follow your favorites to get information about games, news and more