Prosecutors are considering charging ‘additional individuals’ in Gabby Petito’s killing, family lawyer said after Brian Laundrie’s cause of death was confirmed

0
4
Brian Laundrie and Gabby Petito.

Brian Laundrie and Gabby Petito.North Port Police Department

  • Gabby Petito’s family lawyer said prosecutors are considering “additional” charges in her case.

  • The comment came after an autopsy said that Petito’s fiancée, Brian Laundrie, died by suicide.

  • Laundrie was the sole “person of interest” in the disappearance and killing of 22-year-old Petito.

Prosecutors are considering whether to charge “additional individuals” in the disappearance and killing of YouTuber Gabby Petito, her family lawyer said in a statement on Tuesday.

The statement was issued hours after a Florida medical examiner determined that Petito’s fiancé, 23-year-old Brian Laundrie, died by suicide.

“The Schmidt and Petito family has been aware of the circumstances surrounding the suicide of the sole suspect in Gabby’s murder,” attorney Richard Stafford said in the statement. (Schmidt is Petito’s mother’s surname.)

“The family was asked to not comment and let the FBI continue their investigation and allow the United States Attorney’s Office make a determination on whether any additional individuals will be charged.”

Laundrie was the sole “person of interest” in the Petito case, and a warrant for his arrest was issued over a charge of missing Petito’s debit card.

He was never charged with harming or killing Petito, which legal experts told Insider may have been a decision to give law enforcement more options while investigating.

His remains were discovered next to his backpack on October 20 at Florida’s Carlton Reserve. His cause of death was a gunshot wound to the head, according to Florida’s District 12 Medical Examiner’s Office.

Steven Bertolino, an attorney for the Laundrie family, told Insider that Laundrie’s parents were informed of the medical examiner’s findings.

“Chris and Roberta are still mourning the loss of their son and are hopeful that these findings bring closure to both families,” Bertolino said.

Bertolino told Insider that after Laundrie’s parents officially reported him missing on September 17, they also surrendered five or six guns they had stored in their home — but that one was missing.

It is unclear whether the missing gun is the one Laundrie used to kill himself. It is also unclear whether there was a gun among Laundrie’s belongings next to where he was found.

Laundrie’s family previously said they won’t hold a funeral for their son.

Read the original article on Insider